Monday, July 9, 2007

By the River on Pebble Island

I remember it clear as day,
Standing on an island of pebbles,
By a monstrous, flowing river,
With it's gigantic, rushing waterfall,
I was only a child,
It all seems so much smaller now.
I remember looking up into his smiling face,
The Big Man and I thought nothing of spending hours,
Throwing pebble after pebble,
Into the rushing water,
Those were the good days,
Young and carefree,
The Big Man was still around.

Now, the place has changed with the times,
The island of pebbles has slowly corroded,
It's now practically unreachable,
While the surrounding rock formation,
With it's once so rampaging waters,
Is strewn with the rubbish of the local teens,
The empty beer cans and empty crates,
Show the place is now nothing more than a drinking spot.
To me the place will always mean so much more than that,
It's a place that holds some of my most cherished memories,
Memories of a time which has long since passed,
When the world seemed so peaceful,
Just like my spot by the river on pebble island.

No comments:

Post a Comment