Friday, July 6, 2007

War

I decide to join the army,
And am immediately trained in their philosophy,
I am taught to feel no pain,
Even when blood comes down like rain,
All forms of emotion are beaten out of me,
Until I wander around aimlessly, like a zombie,
So when the day comes and I have to fight,
I won't drop my gun and flee into the night.

After years of honing and training,
I find myself suddenly wishing,
To be involved in conflict, to be involved fighting,
To be involved in war, shooting and killing,
Then the commander recognises that,
There are no qualities in which I lack,
So he finally decides to ship me out,
Ship me out to war torn Iraq.

I have got my wish, and feel a tinge of joy,
Being out here, uncovering secret ploys,
I fight for my country, I fight with pride,
I fight with honour, and never try to hide,
I feel no pain, even when comrades die,
I see old friends in agony on the ground,
Screaming in pain, before ceasing to make a sound.

But my emotions begin to return to me,
As I unexpectedly lose all sight,
Of what it is I'm fighting for,
But too late it seems,
As I get shot and fall to the floor.
As I lie on the ground, dying,
I begin to start wondering...

What exactly is the point of war?

No comments:

Post a Comment