Sunday, June 21, 2009

Dream Screen

One sad thing about this life we live,
It has lived for so long before us now,
The word love is dead and gone,
Along with all the meaning it once held.

All I have ever wanted is to feel love,
From a young age, that is all I have ever hoped for,
Maybe if I was born in a different decade,
I could feel in return what comes out too often.

I want the fantasies we see on television everyday,
The job, the home, the wife, the children, everything,
My time has not yet come, and I fear it never will,
As love extends only to infatuation these days.

The film reel turns, playing back to me my birthday,
I slip into sleep and live my dreams there,
And it is no longer my birthday past I see on the screen,
But the future I wake up everyday hoping to be in.

That dream screen smiles at me without malice,
Showing me that our capacity to love has not yet died,
Only that it is ignored by most, who maybe fear its power,
And I know that once I embrace it and know people who embrace it too…

We can be anything we want to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment